Monday, July 13, 2009

Sights, Sites & More!

What can I say? I love this city! I love how green it is, with every inch of free space teeming with plants and parks. From rooftops to canopies to the tiny park across from the hotel with a waterfall drowning out the sounds of the city. It is truly a remarkable city.

Day one saw a trip to the newly opened High Line which was gorgeous. A beautiful reclaimation of space that is already visibly seeing the surrounding areas clean up.

Walking through Chelsea it was great to see the different buildings and the variations in their architecture.

It was a reasonably clear day so it was off to the Staten Island Ferry for my first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. The tours up to the crown have sold out till September but it was nice to see her from the water.

A quick trip down to Wall Street to check out the Stock Exchange and it was time to see my first show on Broadway which was The Little Mermaid which was fun.

Since then I've seen West Side Story which I can only describe as amazing and 9 to 5 which I really enjoyed against my expectations.

Spotted my first squirrel in NY yesterday and had many failed attempts to capture this on film. Made up for this by going to a camera/electronics/cd store to browse. Came out lightly with only two CDs.

Have also discovered that mixed drinks are much stronger over here. Will bear that in mind for the next time I'm out.

Toured Radio City Music Hall and was blown away by the architecture, the detail that went into the restoration and the stage lifts and just the whole place was pretty incredible. Again, there are many photos.

I spent the evening exploring Times Square, trying to become familiar with the theatres, their locations and what was playing where. Not sure how successful that was... Walked along until I caught my first glimpse of Central Park where I took a mini bike-cab tour of the western side of the park. I was hoping to get a ticket to the final Shakespeare in the Park performance but it was not to be.

Tomorrow the crazy run of museums begins!

1 comment:

Talie Helene said...

Excellent stuff, Sarah! Glad you're having fun.